Re(2): [Ti] A different view on Intel/Apple marriage

Hector Luna polonius19 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 15:55:50 PDT 2005

On 6/6/05, Alan Thompson <alan at alanthompson.net> wrote:
> I hear you.  It wouldn't stop /me/ from buying, but then again, I
> still have a crusty old 500MHz TiBook.

> I have faith that Apple will be working very hard to make the
> transition as smoothly as possible.

Dude, I am so filled with trepedation; no dread, though. My faith in
Steve has so far held up. This is not his first unpoplular decision,
and they've all panned out, for the most part. Market share might not
be all that great, but it has increased. The company is flush with
cash and a Wallstreet darling. The entire industry still follows
Apple's lead in regards to innovation. And most importantly, at least
to me, their computers still "just work."

But this is what's going to be keeping me up tonight: Is he due for a
whiff? He can't him them all out of the park, can he?

I keep wondering about the RISC v. CISC debates. RISC was supposed to
be better, damn the clockspeeds. That was supposed to be the reason I
could run Garageband, iPhoto and iMovie simulaneously on my Ti550,
while my x86, dual 1.5 P4 XP box chokes when trying to manage
resources between Excel, Outlook and Firefox. So what now? Is it the
OS then? Is it the vertical integration?

Are we getting sold down the river for the same clockspeed we've been
told for years didn't matter?

Its not as if I'm giving up on Apple. I didn't have immediate plans
for another purchase. If something comes up maybe I go ahead, maybe I
hold out to see what new x86 offerings come out.

I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around this announcement...

--
You got three pair. You can't have three pair. You can't have six
cards in a five card game. --Rusty