Re(2): [Ti] A different view on Intel/Apple marriage

Alan Thompson alan at alanthompson.net
Mon Jun 6 15:19:30 PDT 2005

I hear you.  It wouldn't stop /me/ from buying, but then again, I
still have a crusty old 500MHz TiBook, although, I am writing this on
a G4 iMac 17" desktop.  Basically, I am not in a hurry to be making
big hardware purchases every couple of years.  I save that for cars -
lol.

I have faith that Apple will be working very hard to make the
transition as smoothly as possible.  I believe that in 2006, I can
still run all the apps I do now - that iLife '06  and '07 will run on
both the new chip and the G4/G5 and it will be that way for some time
to come (probably after I end up selling both my macs on eBay to buy
the latest and greatest Macs, now with "Intel inside" (please, at
least I hope they skip putting those annoying stickers on the new Macs).

It sounds, too, like we won't see "leopard" until November/December
of 2006.  That's a good year and a half (of use - on current or
recently purchased machines) right there.  Probably just then will
they be coming out with the new x86 machines, and hopefully they'll
offer 10.5/leopard for the PowerPC platform too.  They probably
will.  Windows, if you recall, with Windows NT, had a separate distro
on PowerPC, Alpha, and x86.

We'll see.  Big gamble on Apple's part, but probably necessary too.

--alan