[Ti] like hell freezing over ?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Jun 6 22:20:14 PDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 10:59 PM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> However, I see no reason to not buy a Mac right now.

Especially since you'll only be able to get a real Mac for (maybe) a
couple more years.  Apple made a complete ass of themselves today.  How
long are they going to keep this web page up?
http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/

And how long are they going to keep this one up?
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/64bit/

So tell me, how are developers building 64-bit applications and testing
them on a 32-bit 3.6 GHz P-IV processor?  They aren't even giving the
developers a machine with a Pentium D in it with 64-bit extensions.  As
you may well be aware, programming assembly for x86-64 is significantly
different than for PowerPC.  And programming assembly for Intel's IA64
is different again.  So how you going to make a "fat binary" for that?
What's more, x86-64 isn't even real 64-bit.  It's another extension
piled on top of the x86 arch.

And we got a translation layer (Rosetta) that doesn't support apps
written with vector (AltiVec) code, nor does it support code that
requires a G4 or G5 processor (like Final Cut).  So now what?  The
PowerPC version of Final cut doesn't run on the Intel Mac with the
translation layer.

Something's really rotten in AppleVille here.  They better start
getting their story straight real quick because smoke and mirrors don't
fool me very often.
--
Chris