[Ti] like hell freezing over ?

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Jun 6 20:59:28 PDT 2005

Yes, they do have the cash to make Macs for quite a while and just
hand them out without being paid, for that matter.  Apple won't be
going bankrupt any time soon.

However, I see no reason to not buy a Mac right now.  While Apple is
making it very easy for developers to leverage OS technologies like
Core Data and Core Image that would require 10.4, they are making it
very difficult to justify producing anything but a "Universal
Binary."  All it really takes in many cases is to check a box in
Xcode and recompile your project.  I am at WWDC right now, and have
in fact already produced a Universal Binary, which includes Intel-
native code.  It took me 5 minutes, of which I spent 4 minutes and 55
seconds searching for the checkbox telling it to compile for Intel in
addition to PowerPC.  I then tested it on a 3.6 GHz Pentium 4
PowerMac, the same style as the one Steve used in the keynote, and
the same as the development machines Apple is loaning to developers
starting in a few weeks.  I also tested it with Rosetta, the
emulation allowing a PowerPC binary to run on an Intel-based Mac.
Everything worked quite well.  And why shouldn't it?  Apple has been
building OS X for Intel for 5 years now.  This is something that has
been in the works for a long time, should it become necessary.

Apple's big message to developers is to make one application that
will run on either platform.  For some applications, this can be done
with no code changes.  For most, it will require a small investment
of time.  Very few will require significant resources.  If your
favorite application isn't native in *both* PowerPC and Intel on the
first day Apple ships an Intel-based Mac, it's because the
programmers are lazy.

As the folks from Mathematica said during the keynote, they ported
their app to Apple's Intel architecture in 2 hours.  Granted,
Mathematica is probably a good thing to demo because it is already
cross-platform, and their developers probably took some of the
architecture differences into account when writing their code.
However, on the flip side, they do a LOT of math (obviously), and
that's something that can be quite troublesome with the architecture
change.

The best thing here is that Apple now has freedom.  They can choose
from many different chip makers - it's Intel today, but they could
relatively easily switch to another architecture if it again becomes
necessary.  They could even ship PowerBooks with one architecture and
PowerMacs with a different one (which is what happen during 2006-2007
anyway).  It's not a perfect situation, but it will probably turn out
to be the right move in the long run.