Re(2): [Ti] A different view on Intel/Apple marriage

Yuta Hsu yhsu at mac.com
Tue Jun 7 07:54:52 PDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 6:55 PM, Hector Luna wrote:

> I keep wondering about the RISC v. CISC debates. RISC was supposed to
> be better, damn the clockspeeds. That was supposed to be the reason I
> could run Garageband, iPhoto and iMovie simulaneously on my Ti550,
> while my x86, dual 1.5 P4 XP box chokes when trying to manage
> resources between Excel, Outlook and Firefox. So what now? Is it the
> OS then? Is it the vertical integration?
>
> Are we getting sold down the river for the same clockspeed we've been
> told for years didn't matter?

I wonder the same thing, but then I realize a few things:

- RISC vs. CISC is moot for the majority of people.  We live in a
market-driven economy, and the best technical solution doesn't always
win out.  Mac vs. Windows is a spectacular example of that.  A car
analogy:  the rotary engine can give more horsepower per liter vs.
the piston engine, but only Mazda's RX-8 uses one.  A food analogy:
Over 3 billion served by McDonald's.  The reason you could run
Garageband, iPhoto, & iMovie while your x86 choked was more because
of the OS than anything else, but Intel didn't make an issue about
that, they made the issue MHz.

- Another part of that is Apple's full control of the hardware and
software.  As you said, our Macs 'just work', and that's because
there are no unknowns between the hardware & software.  Microsoft has
to second-guess because there are too many configurations of hardware
with components from so many companies they can't guarantee 'plug &
play'.  That's why Macs work so well... the integration of hardware &
software.

- The clockspeed doesn't matter story still holds.  I truly believe
that you get more bang for your clock-cycle with the PPC vs. x86.
But Steve made a good point... that's not the issue anymore.  The G5
is a spectacular chip, but what good does that do me when I need
mobility, and I can't have a Powerbook G5?  Intel has a plan for
chips that give more bang per watt, which is of vital importance,
especially in the mobile market.

I am cautiously optimistic.  Apple's been planning for this since the
beginning of OS X, so they've done their homework.  Intel's roadmap
gives more capabilities for more form-factors (desktop & laptop)
sooner than the PPC roadmap.  As long as the integration of hardware
& software remains,  I'm not sure I care.  More than anything, my
user experience makes the Mac... and I don't see that experience
changing.

Cheers,
Yuta