Re(2): [Ti] A different view on Intel/Apple marriage

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Jun 7 10:10:33 PDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Yuta Hsu wrote:

> The clockspeed doesn't matter story still holds.  I truly believe that
> you get more bang for your clock-cycle with the PPC vs. x86.

I sat thru at least a half hour of Pentium bashing at WWDC 2003.
Pictures of comparisons of pipelining between the two archs,
benchmarks, etc..  I watched a dual G5 render a poster for "Finding
Nemo" so much faster than a dual 3.06 Xeon that it made the Dell look
like something that got shipped to the US on the Mayflower.  "This
architecture has legs" I was told.

Now we get to WWDC 2005.  Apple does an about-face.  Macs are going to
Intel.  The Windows guys have been on the right cpu architecture all
along, and "we want to build the best computers for our customers".

I'm not buying it.  Especially when I see the Microsoft Xbox 360 being