Re(2): [Ti] A different view on Intel/Apple marriage

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Tue Jun 7 10:51:55 PDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 1:10 PM, Chris Olson wrote:

> The hackers will have OS X running on a Dell in no time flat.
> Legal or no.  If Apple uses proprietary firmware/hardware required
> to boot OS X, the PC guys will figure out how to emulate it in
> software.  Living proof is the PearPC project (http://
> www.pearpc.net/) - a bunch of hackers running OS X on their PC's
> with software PowerPC emulation.  They aren't going to buy a Mac.
> They'll run a pirated copy of OS X on a $199 hack box.

Fine, let 'em.  They wouldn't have bought a PPC Mac either.

The vast majority are going to want a computer they can sit down at
and use, not hack the firmware and hope that they don't need drivers.

When I used a Wintel machine, I didn't want the cheapest thing I
could find.  I got a Dell because it had the best reputation for
"just working" in the Wintel world.  And 5 years later, it's still
working, running Windows XP.  Some flakiness, sure, but not
surprising for a portable machine that was "ported" around a lot.

When I wanted a better OS, I tried the free version (FreeBSD and
Linux).  It took too much time and effort just to get the thing up
and running.  So I bought a Mac.

When I wanted to do video editing, I looked around and decided that a
Dual G5 was probably my best bet... and that's still true today as
much as it was 2 days ago.  So I may still buy one.  Did the
announcement give me pause?  Sure, but no more so than wondering when
the G6 was going to come out (which I figured was planned in the next
year or two).

The really interesting thing will be to see how easy or difficult
Apple makes it to dual boot Windows, and whether or not VirtualPC
will be ported (imagine running VPC inside Rosetta!  Eeek!)

TjL