[Ti] like hell freezing over ?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Jun 7 10:17:49 PDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 10:55 AM, Yuta Hsu wrote:

> For AltiVec, it says 'written specifically for AltiVec.'  I'm not sure
> what that means, as Photoshop runs through Rosetta.

Photoshop is written to run on a G3 with AltiVec enhancements (fat
code) available for G4/G5 processors that can execute vector code.  It
may run on a Mactel, but not with the performance a graphics
professional will demand because of lack of AltiVec support on the
Intel processor with the Rosetta PPC translation.

The PearPC guys have AltiVec working on their PPC emulation layer for
x86.  Perhaps Apple will "borrow" some of their code, which is GPL/Open
Source, to improve Rosetta prior to release.
--
Chris