[Ti] End of PPC, what about Linus Torvalds ?

Ondra Soukup ondras at di.cz
Tue Jun 7 12:29:31 PDT 2005

As I read somewhere that he can't test some x86 related feature in
kernel, because his main development machine right now is Powermac G5.
I think he bought it because he want's linux to be most cross-
platform OS ever. As long linux and mac user, from my point of view,
MacOS X is free-unix (linux,*bsd etc.) that is useable for people
like my grandma . UNIX for the rest of us. Back to PPC platform...
does that mean end of PPC platform in general ? Or we will have to
compile programs for our "old" PPC Macs on our toasters and
washmachines as somebody mentioned here that PPC is widely use as an
embedded platform. I think this is the beginning of the end. Apple
living from iTMS and iPods is very close...
In less than a year, some hack will be done (to specific motherboard
BIOS, to x86 in general, don't know Wintel very much) so anyone will
install MacOS X to his PC. Very sad, as PC users usually don't buy
their software and they even don't hesitate to post their crime on
some internet discussion board.

PS: This was written day ago... but I had to revise it, because of
total anger after the keynote. It's still just a scream into darkness.