[Ti] like hell freezing over ?

Shawn King shawn at yourmaclife.com
Tue Jun 7 14:46:39 PDT 2005

On 6/7/05 2:20 PM, "Alan Thompson" <alan at alanthompson.net> wrote:

> No, not kidding.  I know the costs.  Perhaps my word choice was
> poor.  I believe that one should, like Apple for instance, make their
> APIs and devkits free to developers.

No offence intended but, in this regard, your "belief" and a couple of bucks
will get you a cup of coffee.

This is the way Apple does it. If you don't like it, you don't have to
develop for Apple.

> It is my opinion that is what Apple should do; make ADC
> membership free to developers.

It is. I'm a member and I didn't pay a dime.

> Also, I feel they should make
> it free because of their smaller market share.

By that logic, why not make their machines free because of smaller market
share?

> don't want to re-compile my kernel at home, or compile my software
> from source (again, at home).  I just want it to work when I plug in
> my digital camera, or other such banal activities, and I like the
> quality of their hardware and the elegance of OS X.

Do you have any indication any of that will change? Have you heard from
anyone who says things will be different? Did you see something announced at
the Keynote the rest of us didn't that leads you to believe you will have to
"re-compile my kernel at home"?

>From everything I've read, heard and seen from *dispassionate* sources, this
will be a seamless transition *for the user*.

Now - come in off that ledge.... :)
--
Shawn King
Host/Executive Producer