[Ti] Re: On the positive side..............

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Wed Jun 8 21:52:05 PDT 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 5:04 PM, Dennis Fazio wrote:

> Another way would be to do something like WINE on Linux does to run
> Windows apps, if I understand that correctly. It's not a full
> emulator, just an emulation of the system calls so the application
> sees the right interface to the OS. Otherwise, it just runs native
> at full speed for all other tasks.

WINE = "Wine Is Not an Emulator" so you have it right....

> However, something I haven't seen discussed yet is that there may
> be a risk in running Windows applications on the new Intel Macs too
> well; some developers, including major ones, may see no need to
> develop the OSX version any more unless there were a clear
> performance or functionality differentiation between the two
> environments.

This has been discussed at length on the lists dealing with WINE.

The consensus seems to be that there are some apps that will just
never be ported, and the ones that are OS X already have some
advantages (speed, being "native" look and feel, etc).

TjL