[Ti] On the positive side..............

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Jun 7 14:04:50 PDT 2005

--On June 7, 2005 04:09:24 PM +0100 Robin Jackson <robinjackson at mac.com>
wrote:

> Possibly a dual core CPU in my PowerBook AND running VPC with a native CPU
> could give me a huge performance boost and make my life much easier.

I think a virtual machine design would be a much better solution. That's when
you run multiple operating systems simultaneously on one computer. Leopard
could be a virtual machine-based OS. Apple has design control of the hardware
and can make it work. Then you don't need an emulator to run Windows; it just
runs native within the virtual machine environment.

Another way would be to do something like WINE on Linux does to run Windows
apps, if I understand that correctly. It's not a full emulator, just an
emulation of the system calls so the application sees the right interface to
the OS. Otherwise, it just runs native at full speed for all other tasks.

However, something I haven't seen discussed yet is that there may be a risk
in running Windows applications on the new Intel Macs too well; some
developers, including major ones, may see no need to develop the OSX version
any more unless there were a clear performance or functionality
differentiation between the two environments.
--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com