[Ti] Shawn the King

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Thu Jun 9 00:15:25 PDT 2005

On Jun 8, 2005, at 8:54 PM, Jesse Brown wrote:

> Chris is a worthy opponent but no staying power apparently. Can't have
> a decent flame war if your feelings get hurt too easily.

I have little desire to fight some pointless small time "flame war" on
an internet mailing list.  I got more class than that.  I present my
thoughts on this "transition" as I see them.  The self-righteous
zealots see fit to perceive anything negative about Apple Computer as
some sort of personal attack, or excuse to start one.

All I said was that I was given 64-bit Power in 2003 with Jobs being
quoted as recent as 2004 that Apple sees no advantages to switching to
Intel because the PowerPC platform will provide plenty of scalability
for Apple for the future.  They publish white papers and get developers
and users onboard:
http://images.apple.com/powermac/pdf/PowerPCG5_WP_06092004.pdf

A year later the story changes with a complete about-face.  Excuses
about IBM not being able to deliver a 3.0 GHz G5 when the G5 in the
Power world is old news.  It's a scaled down Power4 and GHz is not what
gets the work done.  Meanwhile IBM has the Power5+ - a 90nm multi-core
cpu that has memory bandwidth over 800 GB/second.  There's nothing that
comes close to it.  And the Power6 - a 65 nm multi-core cpu with
virtual core partitions that makes the Power5+ look like a toy, due to
be released in November of this year.

My whole point has been, and I believe I've presented it without any
personal attacks, that this "transition" is not going to work for
everybody.

I stated it in another post, but this is not about Apple building the
best computers for their customers, because if it was they'd be
covering all the bases.  If they were really interested in building the
best computers for their customers they wouldn't be throwing all their
eggs in the Intel basket and they'd license that Power6 technology from
IBM - use the 970FX as a stepping stone.  I don't care if a PowerMac G6
costs $7,000.  It'll be worth it because it can do what no Intel
machine can do running the software that some of us have developed and
purchased for 64-bit Mac OS X on PowerPC.  They're not doing it, so
they're going to loose some customers.  We'll port to 64-bit PowerPC
linux which is every bit as robust and scalable as Mac OS X, and we'll
run it on IBM BladeCenter JS20's.  I really didn't want to leave Mac OS
X because it's a great operating system.

I was told offlist to not let the cpu hit me in the ass on the way out.
  That certainly sounds like a formula for success for Apple Computer,
wouldn't you say?
--
Chris