[Ti] Shawn the King

Henry Kalir kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Thu Jun 9 04:30:40 PDT 2005

Chris,

I'm definitely NOT one of the folks for whom Apple can do no wrong, but
I think for once Apple did the RIGHT thing this time!

 From reading your posts I am struck by your repeated referral to the
"970FX" as though that, and ONLY that is what makes the Mac great. I beg
to differ! The 970FX may be great, but the greatness of the Mac is in
it's philosophy as embodied in its OS. This OS can be made to run on ANY
CPU, and I say that it will beat Windows when running on the SAME CPU.
If you say that it does NOT, and needs special CPUs - then you are
saying that it is INFERIOR to Windows. I'll save all my analogies here
for the next post, should this point not get through.

Now, you are actually the one asking Apple to put ALL its eggs into ONE
basket AND price itself WAYYYYY out of the market ($7,000...?
REALLY!!!). This is the kind of dangerous thinking that prevailed at
Apple until now, and has proven to be disastrous in terms of BOTH market
share and functionality! You may be a very talented developer, but there
were many MORE developers out there writing for the Wintel platform than
for the Mac, and the sad fact was that we had to constantly look at the
PC side and see that there were many more applications there, while
feeling like beggars - hoping for "a handout", that they and also
software giants like Adobe and others (previously Mac-only writers)
would be kind enough to  port their programs to the Mac-side...and
update them too..

I hope that now all those developers for the PC would write for the Mac,
that its market share (a concept which you seem to equate with
mediocrity, for some reason) would rise to the double digits and stand
on it's own 2 legs!

Best,

Henry