[Ti] Shawn the King

Paul H. Yoshimune paul at yoshimune.com
Thu Jun 9 08:29:25 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 07:30:40AM -0400, Henry Kalir wrote:

> I hope that now all those developers for the PC would write for the Mac,
> that its market share (a concept which you seem to equate with
> mediocrity, for some reason) would rise to the double digits and stand
> on it's own 2 legs!

This thread has educating, interesting, and painful, all at the same time.  :-)
Chris makes some great points about 64-bit computing, and the investment that
developers have put into it (and which now seems to be going back to 32-bit,
at least for now).  Shawn makes some great points about the processor being
independent of the OS/user experience, and therefore the change not being any
big deal.  My take is that it's something in between, depending on which side
you're approaching from - but, I lean slightly more to Chris' point of view.

Oh wait, was I trying to make a point!?!?  :-)  In reference to the quoted
material, I've seen this comment made several times now (Macs will use Intel
processors, so we can lure Windows developers to the platform, and ultimately
increase market share).  Well, hate to break it to those who think this, but
unless MacOS sprouts Windows APIs, programming for the Mac isn't going to be
any more or less challenging for Windows developers - their experience will be
largely identical to programming for a PowerPC-based Mac.  i.e., the fact that
there's an Intel processor in the Mac changes nothing from a Windows
developers' PoV.
--
Paul H. Yoshimune
paul at yoshimune.com