[Ti] Shawn the King

Robert Ameeti Robert at Ameeti.net
Thu Jun 9 06:21:28 PDT 2005

At 2:15 AM -0500, 6/9/05, Chris Olson wrote:

>Excuses about IBM not being able to deliver a 3.0 GHz G5 when the G5
>in the Power world is old news.  It's a scaled down Power4 and GHz
>is not what gets the work done.  Meanwhile IBM has the Power5+ - a
>90nm multi-core cpu that has memory bandwidth over 800 GB/second.
>There's nothing that comes close to it.  And the Power6 - a 65 nm
>multi-core cpu with virtual core partitions that makes the Power5+
>look like a toy, due to be released in November of this year.

And the majority on this list seem to believe that if this was better
for Mac users and their futures, that Apple would have gone this
route. Apple is taking a bit of a gamble with their own bank account
to make this switch.

>My whole point has been, and I believe I've presented it without any
>personal attacks, that this "transition" is not going to work for
>everybody.

And as has been said, if it works for you great. If another platform
will work better for you, then you are free to jump ship. But
throwing about your upset feelings on this list isn't going to change
anything.

>I stated it in another post, but this is not about Apple building
>the best computers for their customers, because if it was they'd be
>covering all the bases.  If they were really interested in building
>the best computers for their customers they wouldn't be throwing all
>their eggs in the Intel basket and they'd license that Power6
>technology from IBM - use the 970FX as a stepping stone.  I don't
>care if a PowerMac G6 costs $7,000.  It'll be worth it because it
>can do what no Intel machine can do running the software that some
>of us have developed and purchased for 64-bit Mac OS X on PowerPC.

It is not all about what you have done in the past to then provide
the answers for what others should do in the future. If you think
that the Power6 technology is all that much of a sure thing, you are
free in any world that I know of to get all of your friends together
and make this wonderful computer and then sell it for gobs of money.
Until you have the following that others have, you will have to
follow.

>They're not doing it, so they're going to loose some customers.

That would be lose and some customers Apple may choose to lose and
I'll say good riddance if they leave.

>   We'll port to 64-bit PowerPC linux which is every bit as robust
>and scalable as Mac OS X, and we'll run it on IBM BladeCenter
>JS20's.  I really didn't want to leave Mac OS X because it's a great
>operating system.

I guess life is all about choices. We don't seem to get everything we
want. For you it will be choose your processor or choose your OS. You
don't get anything you want just cuz you want it.
--

Robert Ameeti

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.