[Ti] A real world comparison

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Fri Jun 10 04:55:56 PDT 2005

--On June 9, 2005 09:55:34 PM -0500 Shawn King <shawn at yourmaclife.com> wrote:

>> So, when you say Apple has to beat Windows, I'm not sure what that means.
>
> Once these MacIntel machines ship, Apple had better have some awfully good
> PR showing how OS X and its apps run faster on their machines than Windows
> does on "their" machines.
>
> If Apple doesn't, Microsoft will show that their OS runs "better".

Oh, PR you say. Sorry. Thanks for the clarification :-)

Well in PR, there's LOTS of magic.

Apple will indeed be able to show its apps run faster on their machines than
Windows does on "their" machines. That will be easy with tests and benchmarks
aplenty demonstrating so (though not the trusty Photoshop demo any more).

However, Microsoft will be able to say the same thing about Longhorn and have
a similar number of tests and benchmarks demonstrating so.

They will both be right and both be wrong at the same time just like now.

<MAGIC>  One of them may or may not claim victory in the PR wars.
</MAGIC> Neither will be able to legitimately claim victory in the real life
performance wars.

--
Dennis Fazio, TIES
Director, Technical Services