[Ti] A real world comparison (of keyboards?)

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:48:02 PDT 2005

Peter Krug wrote:

>On Jun 9, 2005, at 11:48 PM, ~flipper wrote:
>>And the Apple "Pro" keyboards. I use a 14 dollar compaq board on a
>>7 year old PC at work. it feels terrific compared to the Apple. The
>>Apple feels like the keys are sitting in a nice bed of warm
>>oatmeal, in comparison.
>>

>I agree on the Apple keyboards.  These newest ones are even worse
>than the "pro" keyboards that shipped a couple of years ago.  I love
>the old ADB extended keyboard II.  In fact, I'm typing on one right
>now with an iMate USB adapter.  Coffee stains and all.  It seems as
>the laptop keyboards got better and better, the Desktop keyboards
>went into a tailspin.
>
>Peter

Peter,

What's the story with the ADB-USB converter on that board? Any anomalies?

reason i ask, is Bluetooth, of all things. i hate bluetooth. I bought
a wireless mouse (I hate the the mouse too, I'm a trackball guy), but
there it is. The deal is, an app will crash, or i'll accidentally hit
an installer that's a 'Classic app" (with zero OS 9 stuff on my
powerbook) and everythiing will go haywire, and it turns out that all
visible evidence of the 'haywire' behaviour will vanish when I reset
Bluetooth to "Off". The crazy part is: It was already 'Off' in my
prefs, but it turns itself on somehow.

I only use it once in a while, at the office to run iTunes in the
headphones. (No light show on the iPod, heheh).

Meanwhile, i've wondered about the old Apple Extended IIs...

I've got 4 or 5 Apples, and a Matias (what crappy USB engineering on
that thing, whoosh, command-key anomalies, a real dud, except for the
great clackety-clack keys, awesome in that regard).

So, have you seen any intermittent oddities with the old board?

thanks,
brian s