[Ti] Re: A real world comparison

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Jun 10 22:36:41 PDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 10:51 PM, Chris Olson wrote:

> Living proof of the poor performance is already there for anybody
> who wants to try it - in the form of x86 Darwin.

Right.  On hardware not specifically made for OS X and x86 Darwin is
not OS X although they share much in common.  And x86 Darwin today is
definitely not the same as a released version of OS X for Intel
within the next 6 to 12 months.

> Ya'll are sitting around thinking Apple is going to pull a rabbit
> out of a hat.  It ain't gonna' happen.

You love those grand pronouncements, don't you?  Does it make you
feel all superior to just *know* that you're the smartest one in the
room and everyone else is completely and utterly wrong?

Although there has been a version of OS X for Intel from the
beginning, it has never been their primary focus.  Do you seriously
believe that Apple won't be working on improvements to OS X on Intel
in the months ahead?

Oh, and the AnandTech article was talking about OS X's server
performance on the G5 not being as good as Linux on Intel.  I'll let
you in on a little secret... for most average users, the way that the
OS performs in a server setting has little impact on their lives.

Apple's future lies in having acceptable performance of OS X for
Intel for the majority of their users.  Will there be some with
specialized needs for whom the G5 will probably work better?  Yes.
They've got 2 years to come up with acceptable Intel hardware for
those users, although the PPC hardware that you can buy at the end of
those two years will probably serve you well for some time after
that, and I'd fully expect most apps to be FAT for quite awhile after
that.

TjL