[Ti] A real world comparison

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Sat Jun 11 23:46:37 PDT 2005

On Jun 11, 2005, at 3:00 PM, Shawn King wrote:

> FUD. You have no idea what Apple is going to release "tomorrow" or
> next May.

LOL.  For pete's sake!  I believe I caught from one of your posts that
you're an ADC member, so you're bound by the same NDA as I am.  But
don't you ever use your seed keys?

As it stands, everybody on this list knows Apple is going to release
Mac OS X on x86 in 2006.  The question is what hardware is going to be
supported on x86?  You act like we're dealing with the closed
"mysterious" Apple of the 90's.  We're not.  Welcome to the world of
open source, ADC, and the communication and data exchange capabilities
provided by the internet.

Upcoming hardware releases are supported by software, and software is
*developed* not created by waving a magic wand 15 minutes before
release, Shawn.  The pre-release versions of the open source core of OS
X is where all the hardware support happens - long before the hardware
is ever released.

Tell you what - I got a dev box here that's running Darwin 8.0.1 on
x86.  I have no idea why they don't have a binary release for 8.1 (Mac
OS 10.4.1), but they don't.  For some odd reason I kept getting
compiler errors on 8.1, so I'm doing a build of 8.1 sources on my
PowerMac in VirtualPC and transferring the binaries over.  I'm not
quite done with that yet - it'll take me a couple more days.

I can set up our network router to port forward a non-privileged port
to port 22 on that box, and I'll create an account for you on it.  It's
running X11 too, so if you want a remote X session I can set that up
with the WM of your choice as well, via an SSH tunnel.

It sounds to me like you've never seen a running Darwin developer
install in your life.  Maybe it wouldn't hurt to have a look at one.

If you're interested contact me by private email signed with a PGP
signature so I can get your key, and I'll send you the details of the
login on the box via encrypted PGP mail.
--
Chris