[Ti] PAL to NTSC Conversion (made simple)

~flipper lord.flipper at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 05:06:05 PDT 2005

Someone had asked off-list for advice on 2 things: PAL<-->NTSC (using
Cleaner) and combining avi files (I think). At any rate I
accidentally trashed the Inbox here, so there we go:

Cleaner involves a two-stage process that is lengthy, to say the
least (and have a huge clean firewire drive while you're at it, too,
it'll turn a PAL-based avi of 650MBs into 4.5 Gigs before you know
it)).

There are a couple of alternatives (several): ffmpegX, Main Concept
Encoder, and MPEG2 Works version 4.

ffmpegX is a terrific app, but the PAL/NTSC conversion is not its
strong suit. (there are audio/video sync probs there)

Main Concept is great. it's also $250 US. And it does batch conversions.

MPEG2Works does amazing PAL/NTSC (both ways) conversions, and is
nearly perfect where synced audio/video is concerned. It is 30%
slower (on average) than Main Concept (not a bad tradeoff for the
sync quality) and it is ten times cheaper: $25.  <--the winner

All of these will join avi files (I think it's on the Tools tab in
ffmpegX) but there's another 20 dollar shareware app that is the
great joiner, and that is JFUSE ( http://jfuse.com ) and it'll join
multiple files as opposed to ffmpegX's max of two at a time.

There are other unix-based joiners out there, but they rarely work in
terms that QuickTime (for example) can process properly (for
playback) . You'll see a huge MB-sized file, a QT icon, but the
playback halts after what would have been the first 'segment'.... a
no go. With JFUSE it's just select, join, showtime. Period.

So, JFUSE to join, MPEG2Works4 to process the conversion. MPEG2Works
still supports several previous versions, so no matter how old the
Titanium, or which OS, there's one out there. My advice: get the
latest, unless you work in OS 9.

brian s