[Ti] Wireless card

Dennis Fazio dfz at mac.com
Tue Mar 1 22:48:50 PST 2005

--On March 1, 2005 02:52:45 PM -0800 Lorne Chapman <lornec at mac.com> wrote:

> I'd appreciate any shared experience with the various cards on the market
> as well as comments on what to consider.

I have an Orinoco Gold 11Mbit card and use the IOXperts driver. It works fine
and supports a wide variety of cards. It's 802.11b only, however. They seem
to be still working on 802.11g or a. Price is about $15-$20. It might be
harder to find a new 802.11b only card, but if you do they are pretty cheap
and give plenty of bandwidth for most home Internet lines.

<http://www.ioxperts.com/80211b_X.html>

It looks like Orange Micro has an 802.11a/b/g card that works with
Atheros-based wireless cards. Cost is $15. I haven't used it, but check the
info on the web and for the cost, it's pretty low risk. Check the list of
cards it supports before you buy one.

<http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/wirelessformac.html>

There is an open source free wireless driver on SourceForge for a limited
number of 802.11b cards, but I don't think it's been updated recently.

--
Dennis Fazio
dfz at mac.com