[Ti] Re: TiBook display take-apart, warning & help needed

Dan K macdan at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 09:41:05 PST 2005

Jesper Grundstr?m <jesperg at telia.com> wrote:
>Just destroyed my 667 DVI display (look below for symptoms) when trying
>to do the most beautiful hinge repair ever (with good results - the
>TiBook looks as new).
>
>First - the warning.
>There is a "second bezel" under the bezel!
>
>The 'second bezel' is an integrated part of the lcd-unit that the front
>bezel is glued on to. Not knowing about its existence I ended up prying
>with a thin strip of plastic under this (lcd-unit bezel). I went on for
>quite a while (couple of hours - all along the inside edge) before
>realizing this, and I guess this destroyed the lcd-unit. After
>realizing 'where I was' - prying 'between the bezels' made the front
>bezel pop off in premium condition.
>
>So - Watch out - or follow the macdan recommendation and try this on a
>broken-LCD before.
Ouch! I never saw this as an issue, so never included any sort of warning
about this possibility on my TiBook takeapart web page*. I'm very sorry I
overlooked this, and I'll be sure to add this info as soon as possible so
others don't make a similar mistake.

>Then - the Help Needed!
>Symptoms: The display now lights up showing several thin vertical and
>horizontal stripes. When in sleep mode îthe sleep lightî pulse as it
>should. I can se faint colour shifts and movements during use. External
>screen works great as well as all other ports, track pad etc. In
>addition to the stripes I have black marks of various sizes along the
>lcd-edge. Those black marks does not light up at all and are also
>visible when the TiBook is turned off.
>
>I guess the black marks are from prying under the wrong bezel and/or
>from clamping with to strong clamps when gluing it all together. The
>stripes ñ I donít have a clue (LVDS?).
>
>Do you think (as I do) that the lcd-unit is destroyed?
>Do you think the LVDS-cable also is destroyed?
>Is there anything I can do to verify?
>Is e-Bay the best place to find a replacement lcd?
The LCD is damaged, the only practical cure replacement. The black marks
I've not seen before, but the stripes are consistant with LCD damage.
It's certainly possible the LVDS cable is damaged as well. Please
describe what you did, in terms of what you took apart and how. I'm also
interested in a description of your clamping technique, and the glue(s)
you used.

eBay is probably the best source, and of course all the usual eBay buying
caveats apply. There are 'retail' sources, but these tend to be rather
pricey.

dan k

* the page to which I referred above:
<http://mywebpages.comcast.net/macdan/tibook_display.html>