[Ti] Re: TiBook display take-apart, Additional info 2 +Paint

Jesper Grundström jesperg at telia.com
Thu Mar 3 11:27:23 PST 2005

Refitting

Next step was to bend/pry the old hinges away and mount the new ones. I
carefully tried to remove the old glue before applying new. I used
“Strong Epoxy Metal” to the hinges – it is gray, filling, handles damp
conditions, many chemicals, temp up to 100deg Celsius, glues: steel,
aluminum, concrete, stone, wood, polyester. The front bezel was
slightly twisted so I had to straighten it before I glued it back. I
used a common (in Sweden) glue called “contact glue” – you apply it to
both surfaces, wait for a couple of minutes (until it starts to dry),
and press the parts together – glues leather, rubber, metal and is easy
to remove should some squeeze-out occur.

The clamps I used were the smallest ones I found - but bigger than
clothespins. I was referring to a picture with clamps (part of a
“hinge-repair-instruction”) that I got with the hinges. I actually fond
what looks exactly like those in the picture. I used 16. Going back to
my digital photos I can see the black marks appearing after the front
bezel is removed - and before the hinges are removed = clamps are ok. I
will use clothespins as you suggest next time anyway. The marks looks
like “wet black spots” some with thin “cracks” going through others
with some embedded “living” pixels. Most are along the edges, but one
is quite central (this one though, has a thin line/crack connecting to
a bigger black area in the lower left corner).

Additional tip: I used the opportunity to Paint the TiBook edge.
I have had some serious color flaking at the plastic/carbon? edge and
took the opportunity to repaint the edge when everything was apart.
Took all the old two layers of color away, grinded and did some serious
masking before spraying. Looks really good – a lot better than TiPaint
etc! New hinges works smooth and the magnetic hook locks the computer
perfect.

I hope this will be of help to others exchanging their hinges or
repainting their TiBooks - just take care around a working lcd! :)

Jesper