[Ti] Wireless card

rob morris rob.morris at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 4 00:43:20 PST 2005

> From: Robert Ameeti <robert at ameeti.net>
> Subject: Re: [Ti] Wireless card
>
>> i just borrowed a buffalo wifi card to see if wireless reception is better
>> (or how much better) with the external card as opposed to the airport extreme
>> card.
>
> Do note that there are 2 conversations going on here. One is for WiFi as you
> are doing. The other is for cellular wireless cards.
>
>> the card is recognized, it shows up in my menu. my question is how to
>> activate it - how do i tell the computer to use this card rather than the
>> airport extrme card. can you switch back and forth between the cards?
>
> You can't easily switch back and forth as the internal card will want to
> always load. What you are wanting to do is not really feasible or worth the
> effort based on my similar attempts.

With a buffalo card no, you can't. You have to pull the airport card.

But with a Linksys and some other wireless cards, you do not have to pull
the airport card to make the other card work.  Once the new PCMCIA wireless
card is recognized, I just turn off the airport card in the menu bar, and
then the linksys card I use works fine.  I use the Linksys card to extended
range when out and about or I have a bit weaker connection with the internal
airport card.
Cheers