[Ti] Lan problem

Tarik Bilgin tarik at opalblue.com
Sun Mar 13 12:19:35 PST 2005

On 13 Mar 2005, at 09:53, Peter Krug wrote:

> Sorry to sound so negative, but that's been our experience.

Sadly I have had the same experience. The terminology used across the
windows and os x platforms to designate configuration options in
infrastructure-mode wireless networks is not consistent, and each
PCMCIA network card seems to have a very different driver (in windows)
with differing levels of configurability.

Also, some access points are much more configurable than others, and
the solution might be upgrading to a more usable access point, since
they are fairly cheap and once you find one that works well across
platforms you can stick with it. I am still using the old 802.11b Apple
basestation (snow) and have had good compatibility across the different
technologies.

Also some vendors (cisco, linksys, etc) have a lot of vendor specific
stuff on their access points, somake sure to switch all this off when
debugging your network.

Also turn off all authentication when debugging (in a trusted network
environment) before turning on any of the different security options
you have with 802.11

hope this helps,

Tarik Bilgin

PS. I also find the older "Conexant" PCMCIA cards the least compatible
of all.