[Ti] R E A L L Y SLOW performance[OT]iMac G5

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Mar 14 11:10:01 PST 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 11:53 AM, Tarik Bilgin wrote:

> Yes, and these are floating point operations, exactly what the
> G5.excels at. If you work with floating point operations then the G5
> is a no-brainer. Chris' point was that for those who don't do work
> that needs lots of heavy floating point maths, the speed increase of
> upgrading to G5 is negligible.

Exactly.  The majority of computing tasks depend on integer
performance, not floating point.

IMHO, it's really too bad the G5 stole the show, because I think the G4
is a better all-around PowerPC cpu.   The G5 is nothing but a stripped
down Power4 server cpu.  And typically, just like it did in the past
with the Pentium Pro line, server cpu's don't make good all-around
desktop cpu's.

Again, that's why I think engineering resources would be much better
spent on a dual-core G4 PowerBook, rather than a G5.  The dual-core
G4's are already there, reportedly running at 2.0 GHz with a ~600 Mhz
frontside bus, and very low power dissipation (something like 15 watts
per core).  Somebody just has to weld one to the logic board in a
PowerBook to make it happen.
--
Chris