[Ti] Lengthy Startup Time

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 16 10:05:10 PST 2005

That's not necessarily true - although it's possible that it's looking
for something on the network (and I've seen this happen), it's also
possible that it's beachballing because it can't read part of the disk
(and I've seen this happen too, quite a bit).  In fact, I would
consider this to be more likely.  Generally, there doesn't need to be
much disk activity while looking for a network resource.  I'd expect
disk activity to taper off after a minute or two as other parts of
startup finish loading.

Instead, I expect that it's repeatedly trying to read a block on the
disk that isn't accessible.  This is especially the case if you hear a
repetitive loud clicking - not the normal soft clicking that
accompanies normal disk access, which also tends to not have a very
regular pattern.  I'm talking like one loud click from a couple times
each second, to once each couple seconds.  But this isn't always
present.

Anyway, go out and buy a new hard drive and back everything up.  You
might not be able to get everything (like the OS) off the disk, seeing
as how some of it may already be unreadable.  I'd recommend backing up
your most important documents first.

The SMART feature was developed for a reason - to warn you *before*
your drive fails that it is expected to fail in the near future because
its performance has been dropping rapidly in one of any number of
metrics.  It's not very useful if you just ignore its warnings.