[Ti] Lengthy Startup Time

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Wed Mar 16 11:06:16 PST 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 12:05 PM, Kynan Shook wrote:

> That's not necessarily true - although it's possible that it's looking
> for something on the network (and I've seen this happen), it's also
> possible that it's beachballing because it can't read part of the disk
> (and I've seen this happen too, quite a bit).  In fact, I would
> consider this to be more likely.

I wouldn't consider that likely.  The data required to launch Finder is
not contiguous on the disk, and a few bad blocks won't cause Finder not
to launch.  If there's some bad blocks, those blocks get marked bad and
the file system drivers move on and don't use them anymore.  If you ssh
into the machine when Finder is trying to start you'll find Finder is
already loaded into memory and hung, while lookupd is thrashing the
living daylights out of your disk, querying NetInfo and your
configuration stores.  Been there and fixed too many of 'em already.

I suggest perhaps referring to Apple's KB article on the subject:

What Apple is failing to tell there is that they screwed up host
lookups and the lookup daemon (lookupd - normally handled by "named" on
other Unix systems) in 10.3.7.  10.3.8 is supposed to fix it, but it
doesn't if you've ended up with a corrupted Finder cache or modified
the hosts or NetInfo database to fix the issue in 10.3.7.  Removing
networking capability so the machine halts host lookups is the way to
verify it.  If lookupd cached the fact that a network volume can't be
reached, even when it can, Finder will hang during start for 120
seconds on each AFP or SMB lookup, waiting for it to time out.

If you suspect a disk problem, and realize that S.M.A.R.T. monitoring
isn't perfect, boot the machine to single user and run fsck on the disk
in interactive mode.  The Unix command line tool will tell you way more
useful information about the status of your disk than the GUI will.
--
Chris