[Ti] No heat sensors on TiBook

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Tue May 3 08:15:30 PDT 2005

Well, there *is* a temperature sensor for the CPU, but I'm not sure
that it's accessible from software like the later sensors are.  It also
may depend upon your OS version (especially OS X versus OS 9) and your
TiBook version.  I had a utility that could read the temperature from
my Ti 500 in OS 9; but most OS X utilities were unable to get the
temperature.

Also of note - even if the temperatures can be read, they're horribly
inaccurate.  I believe the accuracy is specified to within +-12 degrees
C (about 22 degrees F).  That's a fairly wide range - if the actual
temperature is 40C (104 F), you might read anywhere from 28C to 52C
(82F to 126F).  Not particularly useful, if you ask me.  But good
enough to trigger the fans, which just need to make sure the silicon
doesn't burn itself up.