[Ti] Connecting to Motorola Razor Phone (Off Topic)

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Fri May 27 13:37:10 PDT 2005

At 3:14 PM -0400 2005.05.27, C Glass wrote:

>I am considering changing to that phone. Please share your experiences.

It's the worst phone ever, functionally.

It's even hard to dial calls on it. The UI sucks worse than any other phone I've ever seen. It's virtually impossible to find how to customize ring tones for callers. There's no audible 'answer' command so you have to at least press some button to take a call on a bike. The bluetooth hands-free in a car drops calls every few seconds most of the time. It gets hung up in bluetooth hands-free mode to where you can't use the hand-free car system or the RAZR phone. The only solution sometimes is to stop the car, turn it off, and turn it back on. The RAZR sometimes shuts down while doing nothing. It has other freezes that sometimes require removing the battery to restart. The UI is so bad that you can easily get into situations that are ridiculous while doing the most normal things like getting your voicemail or when a second call comes in. Don't bother to ask what happens if a second call comes in while in hands-free mode in a car. This phone doesn't have Java so it cannot be used with Salling clicker. I really miss that one. It was also incompatible with the Macintosh but at least that got cleared up somewhat in Tiger.

You can buy an unlocked RAZR phone at your Cingular store but you have to ask for the calling card plan. But if you use an [older] AT&T wireless SIM card, you don't get AIM or internet access (MMode). I had to switch my accounts to Cingular for these features. I knew that with AT&T Wireless, I could access the internet (via bluetooth setup in the Network System Preference) through my phone by setting it up to dial "proxy" with no name or password. But with Cingular the combination is more difficult and I haven't yet been able to do it.

I have several very knowledgable gadget/technology friends who all say the same thing as myself, that this phone is the worst piece of cr*p ever made, but it sure is beautiful so we all use it.

As a side note, this phone is so thin that I very straight-faced tell people that it's solar powered. And Infrared too I say, so it powers off your body heat while in your pocket. I point out that there's no dock port on the bottom to charge it even. You'd be surprised how many tech experts even fall for this one.
--

Best regards,

Steve  (ok a new size tv)