[Ti] Connecting to Motorola Razor Phone (Off Topic)

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Fri May 27 14:11:03 PDT 2005

At 11:55 PM +0300 2005.05.27, David DelMonte wrote:

>Tell us your real feelings Woz and Shawn.. :) I love mine more than I thought I would - and as far as any Moto phone goes. It's a ton better than my Moto v.600 that I stomped on.  Yea yea, I know the Motorola UI is bad and that compared to my wife's Samsung, I can't see the menu as well,  BUT:  it doesn't beep much when it's in my pocket (other stuff hitting the volume keys,) and it does charge from a usb adapter.! I cant find any other phone that's small, got a flip cover and supports BT. I got mine unlocked and not from Cingular, so it uses the various sim cards I need to use (incl. t-mobile in the US and western Europe, Cosmote in Greece and PTN in Australia and the South Pacific). I figure it will last me  a year or two until THE phone arrives. it is in summary - mostly harmless.

The RAZR is worse than I previously indicated. Here are some more flaws to add to my list. With my Sony/Ericcson and Treo I get calls in my car and at home. With the RAZR, reception is so bad that I only get half the calls to my home. I now hold it next to the window of my car for [supposedly] hands-free usage, just to have fewer dropped calls. The menu system is crazy and makes little sense. Even the words don't signify what I'm doing. You can only turbo-dial numbers that are in the phone memory, not on the SIM card. If you copy the SIM to the phone, you now have 2 entries for each person and have to guess which ones to delete, one at a time. The default is for voice dialing only from the phone numbers but you can change that one to the SIM, if you can find where to do so. This phone is unbelievable slow to scroll through long lists of names, for example a long list of names beginning with J. I set it to only show names I tag as "Personal" most of the time to get through the list more quickly but a few times a day, unpredictably, it goes back to showing all names. To actually choose to tag a number that already exists is so impossible to find that I'll keep it secret here. Push the speaker phone button after entering a voice-mail PIN and you wind up with an extra number, like 123, in your phone number storage. The flat keyboard leads to button mistakes and games are virtually impossible to play. I have 4 RAZR phones and some work better than others in regards to keyboard operation and maybe even sensitivity.

I'm so superstitious about UI bugs that I take a breath and wait a second before pressing any keys now.

It's obvious to me that this phone was probably designed in Asia, at least the software. It makes no sense and is very buggy. I have had dozens of models of phones over the years and this is the worst.

But I love it even more than you. Why else would one use a phone with so many bugs and usability flaws? They would have to love it to make that great a sacrifice. My immediate plan is to hide an alternate phone in my pocket and use a bluetooth headset and just hold my RAZR phone out in front of me and 'pretend' to be using it, so that everyone, especially nice women, will think I have the right cool beautiful phone.
--

Best regards,

Steve  (ok a new size tv)