[Ti] Connecting to Motorola Razor Phone (Off Topic)

Simon Chapman sc at pr100.com
Fri May 27 17:23:12 PDT 2005

At 1:37 pm -0700 27/5/05, Steve Wozniak wrote:
>this phone is the worst piece of cr*p ever made, but it sure is beautiful
>so we all use it.

I know nothing about cell phones. My previous phone required a wide
shoulder strap and its own caddy on the golf course and I've managed to do
without one for the last 20 years. But when I saw the RAZR I knew it was
time to come off the wagon. It was love at first sight. The small memory
didn't bother me as I'm not a video or ringtone junkie. The lack of video
record (now rectified via new firmware) didn't bother me since I couldn't
imagine any scenario where I would choose to make crappy, throwaway videos
with a phone. But now what do I find out? It won't sync with my 10.3.9 Mac
and I'll be damned if I'm going to throw 10.4 at it when I'm happy with
10.3.9. Worse (yes, worse even than this), the memo function which I do use
often won't play back in loudspeaker mode. I have to hold the phone to my
ear while I transcribe my audio notes. How dumb can Motorola be?

And this is probably unique to the UK but I can't even attach a photo to a
message because, allegedly, two of the biggest networks here, Orange (mine)
and Vodaphone can't get their multimedia conflicts resolved after two years
of trying.

The phone takes at least half a minute to boot up and the navigation/UI is
almost unbelievably user-hostile at times.

I shelled out for a Moto HF820 Bluetooth speaker for the car and it works
ok butwhy on earth couldn't we have been given an "Answer" voice command?
And I made the stupid mistake of assuming it would be compatible with my
RAZR wall charger (Moto, Moto, geddit?) but of course, the RAZR charges via
mini-USB while the HF820 via serial or whatever that ill-fitting mini nasal
hair trimmer is. "You can charge the HF820 in the car," said Moto Man. But
I don't take road trips long enough to give it 3-5 hours on charge as per
the destructions. And anyway, I want to use the speaker in meetings too and
there aren't any cars in the boardroom. So I have to buy another device
which finally allows me to charge the speaker indoors.

So, yes it's beautiful. But yes, it's cr*p.

Simon