[Ti] new AlBook17

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Wed Nov 2 11:06:29 PST 2005

silvo conticello <silvoc at tiscali.it> writes:
> I noticed the small blinking light that used to turn on when the
> computer was sleeping, now turns on whenever the monitor sleeps (and
> is quite annoying, because now I have to hear for the silencing of
> the computer to understand if it sleeps). Is this some sort of new
> feature? It seems quite dull since it is quite noticeable if the
> screen is off...

The point of this is to show that the computer is still on.  Perhaps
the best use for it is if your computer is not booting, you can tell
whether it's getting power when you first press the power button,
before the screen turns on.  It also might catch people's attention
if they're about to, say, change RAM, unplug the AC or battery, or
other things that might cause problems.

The difference between it as a power indicator and as a sleep
indicator is that it will be on steady to show power, and it will
pulsate to show sleep.

> Until now I was using an AlBook17 with 1.5Gb of RAM and 10.3.9. Now I
> am with 512Mb (at least for few weeks) and 10.4.3 and the computer is
> dead slow. Is the RAM that important, or is the Albook that cannot
> handle 10.4?

You might want to check Energy Saver settings; I only use my 17" on
reduced processor speed when I'm on battery, and it gets quite slow
when doing this.  The RAM can certainly make a big difference, as can
the speed of the hard drive.
HTH