[Ti] cordless phone recommendation [OT]

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Thu Nov 3 14:17:52 PST 2005

This really doesn’t have much to do with Powerbooks, but here goes
anyway...

I recently set up a Uniden 5.8 Ghz system ELBT 595 and three
accessory handsets (ELX 500). The reason I mention this to the group
is that this is the first landline phone system sold in North America
that has Bluetooth technology built in. You can therefore use a
Bluetooth headset with these phones. You can also pair the base unit
with a Cell phone so that you have the choice of placing any call
through your landline or mobile phone from any extension in the house.

One downer is that it comes with Windows only software that lets you
upload your contacts, wallpaper and ring tones from the computer via
USB to the phone. There is no way you can do this with a Mac....ARGHH!

This technology doesn’t come cheap, however. But the cheapest price
for these units I found at Qualcollmore4u.com based in Texas. These
phones are simply great. The handsets look just like mobile flip
phones and in many ways they operate in a similar manner.

jg