[Ti] 10.4.3

John Griffin jwegriffin at mac.com
Mon Nov 7 16:08:46 PST 2005

DPSRIDP
1) D=Disk Repair
2) P=Permissions Repair
3) SR=Safe Reboot
4) I=Install update
5) D=Disk Repair
6) P=Permissions Repair

I go through this every time I update. I run Disk Repair from a
different volume (TechTool eDisk in my case) and a Permissions Repair
while I am still in Disk Utility. Then I reboot the computer in Safe
Boot mode (holding down the Shift Key after the startup chimes). Then
do the Install. Then hit the compulsory “Restart” button and go back
into eDisk (or whatever separate volume that contains Disk Utility).
Do another Disk Repair and Permissions Repair. Then I boot back into
the main volume in regular mode.

Some people reboot into the Single User mode and invoke Applejack to
do the Disk Repair, Preferences Repair, Permissions Repair and Cron
Scripts all at once before and after installing the update.

I have had no problems until this most recent update when two of the
new widgets (Flight Tracker and Phone Book) would not work at all and
Stocks lost its icon and started sporting a generic widgets icon. Re-
installing the Combo updater did not help. I just copied these
widgets over from another volume that had an installation that had
these widgets working properly and everything is A-OK again.

I don’t know what would have happened to your Mail.plist file during
the update, but as you indicate, that’s what backups are for.

jg