[Ti] Mactel powerbooks coming...when?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Mon Nov 14 20:00:31 PST 2005

On Nov 14, 2005, at 5:23 PM, Matt Kibildis wrote:

> with Intel you are going to get a chip that is highly efficient
> with its voltage requirements, with accordingly very low heat, and
> a longer life than extremely hot AMD chips.  So why not have Intel
> macs?

You mean like Intel's new top-of-the-line server processor?  400
watts?  Perhaps you should read up on it:

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/22/0714240&from=rss

http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewstory.php?t=65120

By comparison the dual-core PowerPC 970MP only consumes 100 watts at
peak, 60 watts with one core shut down, and 40 watts with one core
shut down and the other one clocked back to "low power" mode.  In
"sleep" mode the PowerPC 970MP only consumes about 5 watts with both
cores running - about 3 watts with one shut down.  Perhaps you should
read up on it:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-5913921.html

Intel has a long history of making promises that they don't deliver
on.  If you want to take a look at that history I'd be glad to
outline it for you off-list so as to not offend the people who
believe this to be the end-all for Apple.

Otherwise, of course Apple will have Intel-powered PowerBooks.
They've already said that.  Will they be the pie-in-the-sky miracle
machines that hopeful Mac users think they will be?  No.  They'll be
the same identical thing that you get from Dell at the same time.
There's no mysteries here - Intel's processor roadmap is laid out
clear as day well thru the time that Apple has said they will
introduce them in Macs.

Based on Intel's history of processor releases, Yonah will be out the
door late and subsequently delay Apple's introduction of Intel-
powered portables.  The next thing that will happen is that the
gamers and hardware reviewers will benchmark Yonah and it will get
solidly wupped by AMD's 64-bit Turion.  The next thing that will
happen is that Intel will break out the infamous Intel Marketing
Machine but it won't work this time because AMD will win their
antitrust lawsuit against Intel.  Intel doesn't have much support in
the industry anymore - read the comments:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7591-0.html?
forumID=26&threadID=113889&messageID=1292782

That's why holding out for Intel-powered Macs because it's going to
make PowerPC obsolete is, IMHO, a misnomer.
--
Chris