[Ti] Re: Mactel powerbooks coming...when?

Chris Olson chris.olson at astcomm.net
Tue Nov 15 06:55:32 PST 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 6:41 AM, Matt Kibildis wrote:

> I'm just confused by the Intel-hater arguments on here.

Don't be.  Intel is a monopolistic marketing machine, while for years
AMD has been the true leader and innovator in x86 processor
technology.  Earlier this year AMD filed an antitrust lawsuit against
Intel for predatory business practices.

Apple signed a pact with the devil when their PowerPC processor
supply suddenly dried up in the face of Microsoft's Xbox 360.  IBM is
no longer willing to sell them to Apple long term at the price point
they had been contracted at.  We use PowerPC processors in our
business so I keep in tune with this market.  If you don't have a
contract on the Power4 core derivatives, the price of them takes a
steep jump starting in March 2006, and I suspect this is caused by
added demand for them.

Now people are saying they're going to wait for these Intel-based
Macs instead of buying a PowerPC-based machine now.  IMHO this is
ludicrous.  If you need the machine now, buy it, because the Intel-
powered Macs aren't going to be anything all that great.  All you
have to do is look over at Dell to see what they're going to be
inside - Dell exclusively uses Intel cpu's, chipsets, and boards.
And Apple is not the major player here - Dell is - Dell will get it
first because they're several times bigger than Apple.
--
Chris

PGP Key:  http://astcomm.net/~chris/PGP_Public_Key/