[Ti] The reason we use Macs instead of PC's (long)

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Tue Nov 22 15:43:16 PST 2005

Chris Olson said:

>Try linux on that same processor.
Unfortunately the apps in question, the majority being audio and video
processing applications, aren't available under Linux.

>Mac OS X itself
>has many problems
>(especially kernel threading).  Linux literally blows Mac OS X away
>on the PowerPC 970 (G5) in performance.  Linus Torvalds is the
>authority on that one.  He runs a dual G5, but not with OS X.
Yes, I read about this.

>> You can't imagine that Apple/Intel could handle this problem and
>> come up with some kind of more or less elegant solution?
>
>Absolutely not.  It would break backwards compatibility

The funny thing is that I don't find among the users I meet that people
are running XP and 5-10 year old applications. On Mac, this much more
common in my experience. I run a 10 year old ( I think) audio application
(Infinity) that I have hard time finding a full replacement for.This I
won't be able to do on the Macintels, so I'll pick one of the G5s and keep it.