[Ti] The reason we use Macs instead of PC's (long)

kalirhe at umdnj.edu kalirhe at umdnj.edu
Tue Nov 22 17:04:13 PST 2005

Quoting Chris Olson <chris.olson at astcomm.net>:

> On Nov 22, 2005, at 5:11 PM, alexandre wrote:
>
> > again, this is an un-educated opinion, but what i was trying to say
> > is that our laptops don't SEEM to have evolved as much as the pc
> > laptops in terms of speed. have the intel laptops also only evolved
> > 67% in the past 32 months? i don't know

> Well, I don't know about that.  But I recently bought an IBM ThinkPad
> with an Intel Pentium M 740/1.73 Ghz.  I bought it because it was
> cheaper than a PowerBook and looked like a well-built machine.  I
> wanted to run some Windows software that I had bought also.  I've had
> numerous problems with it to date and sold my PowerBook G4/800 when I
> bought it.  Last Saturday my wife and I went to the Apple Store in
> Bloomington, MN and bought me a new PowerBook G4/1.67 15".
>
> The ThinkPad is a dog, compared to the PowerBook, in almost every
> respect including with Microsoft Office.
>
> I advertised the ThinkPad for sale in the local paper last Thursday.
> The paper came out this morning and I've had 5 calls on it already
> this afternoon.  After I got everything I wanted in it, it cost me
> $1,196.36, new, after the promo and rebate.  Every person that's
> called so far quibbles on the price.  The last guy told me he'd give
> me $600 for it because he can go to Walmart and get a new one for
> that.  The ThinkPad is only 2 months old, for crying out loud.
>
> I sold my 3 year old G4/800 (had been upgraded with an 80 GB drive, a
> full GB of RAM, and a DVD burner from OWC) for $1,350, and the woman
> that bought it didn't quibble on the price one bit.  She was the
> first person that called on it when the ad came out in the paper, she
> asked me if I still had it and if it worked OK, and she was at our
> house and bought it two hours later.  I got over 20 calls on that
> PowerBook over the next two weeks because of the ad in the newspaper.
>
> Don't look to me like PC laptops have evolved at all.

Chris,

I'm a diehard Apple end-user, but how come that caller ratio that you got
does not translate into a 3:1 sales ratio in FAVOR of the Mac?

As far as the G5 is concerned - I've checked out the G5s on some of the
applications and, while faster than the G4s, there was not that amazing
difference in performance and speed that I recall when the Mac moved from
the 9600 series to the G3.

I say - let's wait for the Macintels to appear before dissing them. And,
while we're at it - who's to say that Apple can't/won't offer ALL of the
CPUs in its future computer products? I can see Apple offering Intel, AMD
and PPC all at the same time. I believe that the best is yet to come!

Best,

Henry