[Ti] Re: OpenOffice on Mac

TjL lists at tntluoma.com
Wed Nov 23 08:20:32 PST 2005

...... Original Message .......
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:11:00 -0600 "Chris Olson" <chris.olson at astcomm.net>
wrote:
>Otherwise Microsoft I'm sure would retain a stranglehold on Office
>file format specifications.

Chris and I agree completely :-)

Not only that but they don't even stay compatible with their own formats.

(aside: I'm surprised they still don't have a way to open WordPerfect
files.  NeoOffice does this.  Word hasn't, and I don't know why)

There's plenty wrong with Word.  Most people are just used to it.
WordPerfect is a much better and easier to use program.  Word tries too
hard to be clever (i.e. If I make a list, Word decides to indent it.  Why?
WP has had booklet printing for ages.  It's easy to left/center/right align
text *on the same line* in WP, which can't be done in Word without making a
table.  And I haven't even mentioned "reveal codes".

I'd encourage everyone to Google "AlmostPerfect" and read how WordPerfect
was designed and built compared to Word.  It's a fascinating story about
competing with Microsoft and how a few missteps can kill your app.

TjL