[Ti] Re: OpenOffice on Mac

TjL lists at tntluoma.com
Wed Nov 23 11:16:15 PST 2005

 ..... Original Message .......
On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:20:48 +0100 "Mikael Byström" <mikael.bystrom at punkass.com> wrote:
>TjL said:
>
>>WordPerfect is a much better and easier to use program.
>
>And is available on Mac OS X? If not, how is this relevant in any other
>way than as a theoretical comparative example?

Oh, is this list now a place now where we're enforcing strict on-topicness :-?

(It can be run under Classic, yes)

And Microsoft's anti-competitive practices wrt MSOffice (they bundled it for almost nothing) are a major reason why there is no WP for Mac.

>To the defence of Word I know of handful of talented people that produce
>great looking docs in word, but I really do think they could do that in
>almost any application. Also, the number of the latter is very much
>outweighed by the people I've seen that make very tasteless and
>incompetently structured documents with Microsoft Word. In my personal
>experience, you have to fight the app to get the result you want. I
>suppose it depends on your objective for the end document if you run into
>the limitations and also your willingness to learn what is IMHO
>unintuitive and illogical ways of doing things. Your mileage may vary.

I imagine MSPublisher to be the bane of many graphical designer's existence, but I still wish there was a way to read .pub files on Mac.  I am hoping Pages eventually will.

TjL