WordPerfect vs, MS Word (was: Re: [Ti] Re: OpenOffice on Mac)

Ardeshir Mehta ardeshir at mac.com
Wed Nov 23 20:54:09 PST 2005

On 23-Nov-05, at 9:19 PM, Mikael Byström wrote:

> Ardeshir Mehta said:
>
>> For some of my work, even MS Word is not good enough. Check out
>> the Introduction and Chapter 1 of my book
>
> Well, I don't see Word as a layout tool at all, but it works for
> internal company documents I guess.

Well, I've used MS Word for laying out all my other books and
articles. See for example my (rather short) "Essay on Geometry" at:

<http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/EssayOnGeometry.pdf>

... or, if you have a broadband connection which allows you to
download in a reasonable amount of time an entire book (around 1 MB)
complete with all its meta-mathematical symbols, see my book
"Critique of Gödel's Theorem" co-authored with my Argentine colleague
Ferdinand Romero, which is available as a .pdf file from:

<http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir/Critique_Of_Goedel.pdf>

... both of which were written and laid out entirely with Word 98 for
Mac (under OS 9 again), and then converted to .pdf flies.

>> which I had to format using Adobe PageMaker (for OS 9).
>
> I have given lesson with Indesign 2 after having opened it 5
> minutes earlier. I think it so simple yet powerful. Too bad the CS
> version is so slow.

I wish I could afford InDesign!

Oh well. Cheers, anyway.