[Ti] Re: New iMac models... [ no Modem]

Steve Wozniak steve at woz.org
Fri Oct 14 19:47:22 PDT 2005

At 4:30 AM +0200 2005.10.15, Kim Gammelgård wrote:

>LOL! And I though modems were old-fashioned. Do you really also still use faxes? Not just Steve, but any of you? If you do have a phone line (and a modem... ;-) ) email must be so much better to use.
>
>(I wonder how we survived just 10 years ago. Well, he, I remember: in 1994 I was working in Brussels, Belgium and one evening I sent 10 pages by fax to 26 international organizations with a seminar program that had to go out very quickly. Ordinary mail was out of the question because of lack of time. It took a whole night, IIRC, and it was a pain to feed the fax again and again and it was extremely expensive. Today it would take less than a minute with email and cost less than just one page cost to send back then.)

I am travelling today. I am in a hotel. Some critical business documents requiring a signature were emailed to me. A FAX was the only way to accomplish this by 3:00 PM PST today.

I frequently receive email when travelling that needs printing. Sometimes it's directions or a Yahoo map or even a movie ticket. The easiest printer for me is to FAX the document to my hotel. The Macintosh makes this very easy.

When the document requires color, and your hotel doesn't have a color printer available to you, here's a trick. The hotel staff surely has email access and a color printer. Befriend a hotel clerk and ask if you can email them a PDF document from your room and if they could print it for you on the hotel's color printer.
--

Best regards,

Steve  (ok a new size tv)