[Ti] Just turned off Spotlight and now everything's much faster.

John simplymail at ururk.com
Sat Oct 15 06:19:48 PDT 2005

> So I've got a 1.67 ghz pb with 1 gig of ram and it was running very
> very slowly so I recently
> added SPOTLIGHT=-NO- to /etc/hostconfig rebooted and it seems to be
> running a lot faster now.
>
> Has anybody turned off spotlight had this experience?
>
> One problem is search in Mail.app isn't enabled anymore but I maybe
> able to live without that.
>
> Ideally I'd like be able to update my indexes nightly and turn off
> real time updating if this is the culprit for the slowness I was
> seeing.

There was an issue earlier on, Spotlight would take up all available
CPU -> however, I think this was fixed. Are you running the "latest
and greatest" updates? This happened to me, and since then, Spotlight
has settled down. Not specifically Spotlight, but a process related
to Spotlight would keep running and running.

I too would like the option of turning off real-time indexing - it
would help troubleshoot any speed issues people at work complain about!

John Pariseau