[Ti] Just turned off Spotlight and now everything's much faster.

thor thorthor at altern.org
Sat Oct 15 07:11:43 PDT 2005

Hi list

related to the question of turning Spotlight off:

I like Spotlight, and I'm happy for the mds and mdimport do do some
tasks
once in a while. I can see when either of them take up to  20-30% CPU
at times.

However, I am a musician and use my computer for performances, often
CPU intensive. I'd rather not have some indexing happening in the middle
of a set. I would be interested in how one could turn Spotlight off and
start it up again after a performance.

Is it enough to kill the mds and mdimport in the Terminal, or would that
affect something else and make the system unstable?

th