[Ti] ILLEGAL REQUEST...INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT

Arnie Ramirez arnie at mcetech.com
Sun Oct 23 08:55:07 PDT 2005

Dr. Hutley,

I would say that it is likely that you are simply running up against
the capacity limits of the DVD.  While the theoretical limit is
4.7GB, things like directory structures, as well as lead ins and lead
outs, take up significant  amounts of space... and this can vary
depending on whether you are saving lots of little files or a few
large files.

The fact that you got 4.17GB on the disk and that the DVD works fine
indicates to me that it just ran out of space.  Toast generally does
a good job of estimating how much it can fit onto a particular type
of media but it may have overshot slightly and so when your DVD drive
started saying it was out of space Toast just halted and came back
with the errors you saw... obviously not handling it very gracefully.

As you saw, lowering your data to 4.0GB solved the problem.  In the
future just keep an eye on things when your data surpasses the 4GB or
4.1GB point.

The suggestion to try installing Patchburn does not apply here.
Patchburn is a nice utility that basically tells the Mac OS to go
ahead and provide burn support to non-Apple drives so they can be
used with iTunes, Finder Burning etc.  But it does not interact with
Toast which has its own set of drivers.

I'd say that your first guess that the problem stems from a bug in
Toast is right on in that Toast's estimation of how much space your
data would actually take up on the DVD were slightly off.

Best Regards,

Arnie Ramirez
MCE Technologies, LLC
http://www.mcetech.com