[Ti] ILLEGAL REQUEST...INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT

Dr Trevor J. Hutley TrevorHutley at consultant.com
Sun Oct 23 12:12:34 PDT 2005

On 23 Oct 2005, at 18:55, Arnie Ramirez wrote:

> Dr. Hutley,
>
> I would say that it is likely that you are simply running up
> against the capacity limits of the DVD.  While the theoretical
> limit is 4.7GB, things like directory structures, as well as lead
> ins and lead outs, take up significant  amounts of space... and
> this can vary depending on whether you are saving lots of little
> files or a few large files.
>
> The fact that you got 4.17GB on the disk and that the DVD works
> fine indicates to me that it just ran out of space.  Toast
> generally does a good job of estimating how much it can fit onto a
> particular type of media but it may have overshot slightly and so
> when your DVD drive started saying it was out of space Toast just
> halted and came back with the errors you saw... obviously not
> handling it very gracefully.
>
> As you saw, lowering your data to 4.0GB solved the problem.  In the
> future just keep an eye on things when your data surpasses the 4GB
> or 4.1GB point.
>
> The suggestion to try installing Patchburn does not apply here.
> Patchburn is a nice utility that basically tells the Mac OS to go
> ahead and provide burn support to non-Apple drives so they can be
> used with iTunes, Finder Burning etc.  But it does not interact
> with Toast which has its own set of drivers.
>
> I'd say that your first guess that the problem stems from a bug in
> Toast is right on in that Toast's estimation of how much space your
> data would actually take up on the DVD were slightly off.

I have burnt another 10 DVD (archives) since then, and each time
carefully kept the content at 4.2Gb or less, and have had no more
problems.
I agree with all of your analysis and conclusions, based on my total
experience these last few days, that it is a (small) issue with
Toast, with the resulting ungraceful handling and stack of errors.

Trevor