[Ti] Intel cuts PC boot time

Kynan Shook kshook at cae.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 24 18:48:46 PDT 2005

In my experience, Windows' standby and hibernation features are a
poor imitation of sleep.  For my mom, when she wakes her Dell laptop,
the screen resolution often reverts to something like 800x600 (taking
up only a small area on the screen, it's not even full-screen like on
a Mac).  On the other hand, show a Windows user how you can sleep
your PowerBook, and when you wake up it's ready to go right away.  No
silly progress bar when turning it off or on.

I've never had such a problem with a stewardess, but if you find
another one that complains, just hand her your battery.  ;-)  As long
as you put the battery back in within 3 or 5 minutes or so, it'll run
fine.  Beyond that and it might not wake up.  Note that not all
PowerBooks are capable of this; I don't believe the 12" is, nor is
any iBook.  Also, how much memory you have (and how well the
manufacturer adhered to the maximum power limit when in self-refresh
for sleeping) may affect the sleeping time with no battery installed.

A little history for everybody; back with the PowerBook G3 in OS 9,
Apple did briefly offer "Save and Sleep" and "Save and Shut
Down" (both similar to hibernation in windows).  However, these
didn't work perfectly, and a subsequent OS update was released to
"fix" them by removing the features completely.  My guess is that
they decided that sleep already kicked the pants off anything on the
Windows side, so there wasn't much point in investing too much time
trying to debug the new feature that wasn't as spiffy, especially
with OS X under development.