[Ti] Intel cuts PC boot time

Mikael Byström mikael.bystrom at punkass.com
Tue Oct 25 01:21:39 PDT 2005

Kynan Shook said:

>My guess is that
>they decided that sleep already kicked the pants off anything on the
>Windows side, so there wasn't much point in investing too much time
>trying to debug the new feature that wasn't as spiffy, especially
>with OS X under development.

Which is no reason to not reinvent the feature now. Face it, some people
- some of which are my clients - do from time to time not use their
machine for a longer time than expected and would like to even still get
back where they left off. Hibernation is (or should) be an alternative
way to get back to exactly where you left off.
Some data in memory would be stale by then possibly, but hopefully some
routine could update those address areas on load.

TjL said:

>Hibernation shuts off all the lights and yet I can still restart where I
left off
I think the stewardess' point was that it shut off your computer actually. :)

>Why does everyone always think either/or when we talk about new things?
What do you mean everyone?